Marsden Mechanics has a long tradition of providing events, meetings and celebrations for everyone. The history of the building goes back a lot further than many people imagine.
People that know Marsden in West Yorkshire think of the Mechanics’ Institute as the 19th century building with a wooden clock tower in the middle of the village. This was the Hall that was opened for Marsden Mechanics’ Institution in 1861. By then the Institution had been going for twenty years and the Hall would be its third home. Little seems to have been written about the Institution. So…
Steve Challenger has been through the archives to find out a more in depth history, which will soon be available on here – watch this space!